Re: "Think EUO, not SEO"/Google

There is no reason not to make the skip nav visible and it can aide even
more people that way.

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Snider's Web" <lsnider@thesnidersweb.com>
To: "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>; "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: "Think EUO, not SEO"/Google

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting this link-it was very interesting to read.

I just got this info from another publication about Google, which is quite
worrisome:

...Google [is] declaring all hidden links as
bad and automatically checking every page for them...Most
invisible links do fall into the spam category, but not all.  If you
look at http://www.cnn.com/ you will find an invisible GIF link
telling you to "Click here to skip to main content."  Is this spam?
Absolutely not.  What CNN is doing is an accessibility technique
called "skip navigation" to make their site friendlier to people with
disabilities.

I really hope they are not going to penalize people for trying to make
sites more accessible :(

Cheers

Lisa