Re: Automatic Detection of Screen Readers and Other Assistive Technology

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:25:16 -0700
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: "Jon Hanna" <jon@spin.ie>

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:37 AM, Jon Hanna wrote:
> For that matter there is arguably a security risk in proposed systems
> like
> CC/PP. In identifying yourself as a screen-reader user you are
> identifying
> yourself as a member of a group who are sometimes actively
> discriminated
> against as well as discriminated against due to mere neglect of their
> needs.

This isn't a risk, in that the user (via the user agent's agency) should
have the ability to decide what portions of a CC/PP profile to provide.

> For example CC/PP would enable a company to prevent blind people from
> getting past the first stage of a job application process while giving
> the
> company a plausible claim that they didn't know the applicant was
> blind.

Actually, it seems to me that such a claim would be far from plausible,
if
they've specifically coded their system to prevent access by
screenreader
users.  In what way do you think that CC/PP enables illegal activities?
I don't see it.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com