Re: Link colors, white text on black background

From: tom mcCain <tom@crittur.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:02:07 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>If I use white text on black background, what are the best colors for
>* link and visited link?

I volunteer teaching web design to students at the Indiana School for
the Blind. We would recommend oranges, yellows or light-lime green
for link and probably white for visited link, even knowing some
people won't see a difference. Those students who see only black and
white find boldface and underscoring more helpful for identifying
links.

Our low vision students practically detest the blue-and-purple cliche
since those colors are so difficult to see on light backgrounds, and
desaturating that clumsy combination when inverting to white-on-black
hasn't helped.

And actually, we don't automatically feel compelled to make a
distinction between link and visited link, especially if the overall
design is such that making the distinction feels contrived.

. . / tom mcCain

tom@crittur.com
http://www.crittur.com
indianapolis, indiana usa