Re: Head in the sand, driving a car

Al,

In general I have respect for your comments, and as you will know am
waiting to be invited to join PFWG.
in this instance you may not have the necessary experience, or access
to appropriate research reports either.

Some users will always need non-standard responses because they are
taking a while to learn the standard response and need it broken into
steps.
For instance the trackerball can separate movement and clicking very
effectively. However these are very expensive, and a college of 27,000
students has only one that I know of. The leaves(1) web activity
disables clicking, so that users can learn about moving at little if
any additional cost, similarly the lightening activity ignores mouse
movement.

You'll recognise that in this situation, the context menu is of very
little interest to our users, they cannot read, and many would not
understand the implications.There is no confusion, because this is
their only web experience. Other users without SLD are far more able to
understand the issues, and move elsewhere if they are not enjoying the
experience, or find it disabling.However it is important that other
users understand their issues, and this is much more easily achieved
through demonstration and experience than by textual description.

People who create activities that disable the right mouse, for whatever
reason (because they believe it protects their intellectual property?)
actually contribute resources that may suit some of our users now, not
in some fictitious future utopia.
	Why is an applet disabling right clicking preferable to javascript?
note we stopped using java because it is less easily shared.

Moving user configuration is not currently possible due to log in
issues, a swipe card could resolve this, however, by insisting that
this is an OS issue the user's difficulty is being excluded from the
advantages that networking provides, and this is misguided.
For instance, if there is an online course, that eventually trains the
user sufficiently, so that right clicking should now be enabled, how is
this to be achieved? in reality it is most likely that the user would
get small amounts of time with the extra functionality interspersed
with longer periods in a known or rehearsed environment. This is an
ongoing dilemma, and one that is unlikely to ever be resolved
successfully, hence it is important to provide alternatives.

I am already effectively an external expert in the college, and
certainly not part of the internal IT department. The IT department is
always trying to downsize, at least with respect to student numbers. It
is already problematical getting plugins installed, javascript enabled,
SurfPatrol removed, configuration permissions, or administrator
privileges. It is simply not going to be possible that outside experts
are going to be given access to the OS in the future.

A significant number of the most able producers of online materials for
people with SLD have moved to flash.
If W3 cannot be flexible enough to create accessible resources, this
will only encourage more.
In fact the bulk of materials are produced for CD distribution, and
this circumnavigates the problem but for the worst reasons.
The CD comes from a trusted source, so is able to do much, however the
resources are locked in and difficult to share, there is little or no
networking. The benefits of the web are absent.

If you know of specific webpages relating IMS and people with severe
learning difficulties, please post a URI.

I urge you to fast track my application to join PFWG.

Best wishes

Jonathan

(1)		http://www.peepo.com/alfi-x/splat.html