From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Jon Hanna
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 7:18 AM
To: WAI Interest Group
Subject: RE: XHTML from Microsoft Word

> Is anyone aware of a tool (preferably something that will run under a
> Unix-ish operating system) that can take the HTML created by Microsoft

> Word and turn it into clean, Accessible XHTML?
>
> My application is for a forum where agendae and minutes of meetings
> are recorded and posted to an otherwise-Accessible site.

I put a challenge before another list some time ago where I promised to
donate to the charity of choice of the person who managed to get valid
HTML out of Word. Nobody claimed the bet (although the most recent Mac
version of Word came pretty close) but some were able to get very good
results by putting their output through HTMLTidy
<http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/>. If the original Word doc is
pretty simple then there should be little or no accessibility problems
remaining to deal with by hand.