Re: FW: No JavaScript for previous page and print screen

Dan,

I'd like to provide what I hope is a bit of clarification here.
Please understand that these comments are my own and do not
necessarily reflect the views of my agency. I do not speak for my
agency.

Yes, Section 508 has procurement provisions but two of the provisions
specifically cover software development and Web sites whether done
under contract or inhouse by Federal employees. Unfortunately,
education is a long term and continuous process not an instantaneous
one and, as I've found more than once, instruction does not ensure
understanding.

You are correct that Web sites existing prior to the effective date
are not covered (i.e., not mentioned). As you say, existing
non-compliant E&IT also did not have to be immediately replaced with
compliant E&IT. Some agencies have adopted the policy that older Web
sites shall be updated as resources permit or shall be retired if no
longer needed.

You are correct that agencies must now acquire accessible products if
available. Nonavailability does not prevent acquisition but such
nonavailability must be established and documented.

Undue burden is a topic unto itself. I'm not a lawyer and I'd rather
not go there at the moment. Let me just say it is my understanding
that undue burden is not an "easy out". Also, I may be mistaken on
this point but I believe I've heard that undue burden only applies to
procurements.

My understanding is we should avoid equating accessibility and
Section 508. More specifically, compliance with Section 508 does not
define accessibility nor is the converse necessarily true.

Finally neither the White House nor Congress is covered by Section
508. The specific wording is,

"1998 Amendment to Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act

Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d), as amended by
the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L. 105-220), August 7, 1998

SEC. 508. ELECTRONIC AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

(a) REQUIREMENTS FOR FEDERAL DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES.--

(1) ACCESSIBILITY.--

(A) DEVELOPMENT, PROCUREMENT, MAINTENANCE, OR USE OF ELECTRONIC AND
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY.--When developing, procuring, maintaining, or
using electronic and information technology, each Federal department
or agency, including the United States Postal Service...."

Larry