Re: 508, Accessibility & Obstacles

On Tue, 13 May 2003, William R Williams wrote:

> I work as a "web developer" with a large agency in the U.S. federal
> government and feel quite fortunate to be involved in this work. It seems,
> however, as if my employer is only interested in giving "face value"

common problem, mostly has to due with inertia and having to learn
"new" things

> effect. I've been accused of "undermining" the web efforts, being "on a
> crusade," arrogant, striving for nirvana, or coding "web minutiae" (while
> implementing WCAG guidelines), and untold other derogatory statements have

sounds like you are doing your job....

> http://wwwnotes.fs.fed.us:81/r5/regional/r5_rac_work.nsf

TOTALLY INACCESSIBLE, nothing usable not even able to open the site in
Lynx

> produced from that system - can you consider these accessible:
>
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/

not bad, seen better but wouldn't complain (again in lynx)

> I really apologize for the length of this posting, and my level of
> frustration -- I don't want to come across as a "whiner", but only want
> others to understand that the "feds" aren't really on-board with this, in

tell me something I don't know, and  the length of this post is minor
compared with the posts you will have to do when your boss gets a
complaint from a user for non compliance

> my opinion. Even still, your feedback and advice or suggestions on ways to
> persevere is appreciated. And I'll be lurking on, learning from, this list.

CYA

good luck
Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net