Re: Arguments for Use of Legitimate Heading Tags

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 23:13:34 +0100 (BST)
To: Jerry Weichbrodt <gerald.g.weichbrodt@ived.gm.com>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Jerry Weichbrodt wrote:

> Hi all.

(aaargh, your message is all on one line, which makes it hard to
reply)

I don't believe that correct usage is as rare as the tone of
your posting suggests.  In fact my subjective impression is the
opposite: it sticks out when someone has totally failed to use
headings more than when someone has structured them beautifully,
which suggests that I encounter the latter more often than the former.

One agent that supports navigation by headings but is not a screenreader
is mod_accessibility.  Because it works on a server or proxy, it is
available to users of any browser, including but not limited to
screenreaders.  If you can identify a few sites that benefit from it
in other browsers (www.w3.org is an obvious example), you have a
demonstration of benefits extending to a much wider audience than just
the blind.

--
Nick Kew

In need of paying work - http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html