Skip Navigation (was Re: Javascript)

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 06:41:54 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> rather than using skipnav, why not place the content links earlier than
> the nav links for each page? skipnav may work for screen readers, but
> how about people with physical impairments.

Skip nav works perfectly for almost every browser I've tried it in
(MSIE 6, Mozilla, Opera, links, w3m, lynx). The only browser I've
found where the skip link on my redesign site doesn't work in is
Netscape 4.x - and that's because it doesn't understand the id
attribute as a fragment identifier for links.

Problems may occur if an author uses CSS to _hide_ the skip link from
supporting browsers, but the skip nav link is a good solution to the
problem of tabbing past repetitive links.

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/