Re: Javascript

From: James Craig <work@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:36:35 -0500
To: Isofarro <w3evangelism@faqportal.uklinux.net>
CC: Angela Hilton <angela.hilton@umist.ac.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Isofarro wrote:

>I think the trick with making DHTML accessible is to avoid onmouseover and
>onmouseout - this is where things quickly become inaccessible.

I've been working on some accessible DHTML menus that do use onmouseover
and onmouseout. Not finished yet, but my experiments so far are here:

http://www.cookiecrook.com/bugtests/menus/menus.htm
http://www.cookiecrook.com/bugtests/menus/demo.htm
http://www.cookiecrook.com/bugtests/menus/demo2.htm

Unordered list, keyboard access via [tab], etc. Degrades well in non-DOM
or partial DOM browsers. Of course, the final will have to be combined
with a "skip nav" link, but these are just experiments.

Also of note, for accessibility, if the user has JS turned off but CSS
on, they only receive access to the top-level links. Fortunately, the
site these are for provides redundant links in the page content for each
of the sub section. Users will not have the exact same experience, but
it will be a comparable, accessible, experience.

Any comments on the accessibility of these? I'm curious.

Thanks,
James Craig

--
http://www.cookiecrook.com/