From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of gian.sampsonwild@families.qld.gov.au
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 12:32 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Bobby turning corporate

I have found this problem with Bobby as well.
Gian

Date sent:          Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:08:17 -0700 (PDT)
Send reply to:      e-wigg@evanston.lib.il.us
From:               Edward Wigg <e-wigg@evanston.lib.il.us>
To:                 Multiple recipients of list
<web4lib@sunsite.berkeley.edu>
Subject:            [WEB4LIB] Desktop Bobby licensing

As I know there are quite a lot of people out there who use Bobby this
might be of interest, though I'm not sure how many of you use the
desktop version rather than just the web based tool.

I came across a story that claims there is a significant change in the
functionality between version 4 and the new version 5 (specifically you
can no longer save site reports as html, making such reports unsharable
except to people with their own licensed copy of the program). The
sneaky part is that there is apparently nothing that tells you about
this change except wording hidden in the click-through EULA seen during
install. It appears that the chances of your getting your money back if
you don't like this undisclosed change are not good. Read  the details
of one person's experience at:
<http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net/blog1archive/000292.html>

This kind of behavior probably confirms the misgivings that I know that
some people had when CAST sold Bobby to Watchfire, and it also is
another example of why making bad EULAs strictly enforceable (as is the
case in UCTIA states) is problematical.

Edward

The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the
recipient(s) only. It may contain privileged or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you
must not copy, distribute or take any action that relies on it.

immediately and then delete the message.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has
been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
Department of Families provide no guarantee that all possible viruses
have been detected and cleaned during this process.