accessible forms in table format

From: Dona Patrick <patrickd@calib.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:59:09 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "Verna Fuller" <fullerv@calib.com>

Does anyone have any experience with creating accessible forms in tabular format?

My company has been creating forms with similar questions and answers within a table.  The form inputs are radio buttons.  I know I am not explaining it well, so please see an example here:

http://dponline.org/tableform.htm

In this case the developer wrapped the table within a form.  The "label for" attributes surround the table cell tags.  When I try to read it with JAWS it reads it as if it is a table, (table specific keys work), but I am not sure the radio buttons are being checked or not.  I have not tried it with any other screen reader.

Does anyone have a better answer for how to make this kind of form accessible?  I know it is not a good model for a form, but that's out of my hands.  The clients all love this format.

Thank you,

Dona Patrick