Re: Question about Data Tables

From: Josh Hughes <josh@deaghean.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:02:52 -0400
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Nick Kew wrote:
> Unless perhaps you were misusing the word validator to mean some
> kind of smart-heuristic checker?

Well, this is I have so far:
http://condor.gmu.edu/josh/validator/

To help you through the user checks, the validator generates a text-only,
de-styled, and de-scripted versions of the page. The text-only version is
the one I'm currently concerned about. The idea is to re-write the table as
it might be read in a screen reader.

For example:
Original: http://condor.gmu.edu/josh/validator/tutorial/tables.php
Text-only:
http://condor.gmu.edu/josh/validator/textonly.php?url=http://condor.gmu.edu/josh/validator/tutorial/tables.php

I've still got a lot of work to do, but you kinda get the idea.

I just wanted to make sure that "guessing" the scope was part of the
standard, and could reliably be expected from screen readers.