Question about Data Tables

From: Josh Hughes <josh@deaghean.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:05:05 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hey all,
I'm developing a data table interpreter. I almost done with it, but I'm
a little stumped on what to do about table headers that haven't been
given a scope or id/header association.

My first inclination was to have scope="col" be the default behavior,
but I've run into instances where scope="row" is assumed as well. Is
the user agent expected to guess in these situations?

This is going to be part of a validator, so I'm not interested in error-
handling; I want to know what is expected from a standards perspective.

Josh