Accessible Calendars

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:09:33 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All

I'd appreciate your thoughts on making calendars accessible.

In an old project of mine, I generated Web-based calendars (month view)
using the Perl module HTML::CalendarMonthSimple.  This produces a
table-based calendar.

I have been pondering whether a table is a suitable means of creating a
calendar, or whether it should be an act of CSS wizardry...

As far as I can remember, the Perl module uses deprecated markup and
certainly lacks any of the elements and attributes required to make the
table accessible.  However, if a table *is* a suitable format for a
calendar, I will quite happily re-engineer the Perl module to produce
accessible output.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultant - KBC, South Australia