Re: Limited Number of possible accesskey values

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:23:13 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> the maximum possible). However, they are neither necessary (other good
> techniques exist) nor sufficient (always likely to be a key conflict

In practice, access keys are a nice idea that doesn't work well except
in an intranet application environment, where everyone is using the
same browser and are using the application regularly.

I actually find that a combination of sensible text labelling of links
and and easy to use search within page facility allow very fast keyboard
access.  I'm particularly thinking of the "/" search command in the
default keyboard bindings for Lynx.  Being unshifted and on the main
keyboard, it is very easy for touch typists to use.