Re: Alternative Interfaces for Accessibility

From: Larry G. Hull <Larry.G.Hull@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:37:34 -0400
To: phoenixl <phoenixl@sonic.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Scott,

I'm willing to cut Jakob a bit of slack for thinking outside the box.

However, while not totally disagreeing, I find a bit too simplistic
Jakob's premise, "An interface for blind users, for example, should
be designed for auditory presentation."

Not all blind people use screen readers. I'm told by those with a
hearing loss ranging from moderate to severe that they find auditory
output difficult or impossible to use. Obviously this includes the
deaf-blind like Hellen Keller. These individuals use a Braille
terminal as their primary or only tool.

Jakob himself admits, "Of course, the approach I advocate here is
overly Utopian." However, he is focusing on business not user needs.

Larry