Re: 2 HTML documents in one

From: James Craig <work@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:47:21 -0600
To: phil potter <p.potter@chester.ac.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

phil potter wrote:

>Yes, I've tried it in WDG's validator and  the double HTML tag was
>picked-up, which was pleasing. I've also reviewed the HTML specification
>that gives a typical use of the HTML tag, which is one opening tag and
>one closing tag - super, that all makes sense, and I agree with you that
>it can't be acceptable for the reasons that you outline.

Not just that, but *ANY* HTML or XML document can only have one root
element. The only things allowed outside that element are the XML
declaration and the DTD tag.

I'm not sure who was claiming the "if it works" school, but without
proper standards in place defined and used, no user-agent or parser can
be expected to work properly. Also, markup-compatible technologies such
as CSS and the DOM could behave unexpectedly.

James