Re: [OT] Misuse of Out of Office Responders

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:42:31 +1030
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi All

Thank you David for this important reminder.

snip
> can effectively mailbomb contributors because of this problem (around
> 80 per posting for the NTBUGTRAQ list).
snip

When I worked for a major multinational, I saw the entire mail system
"die" as the result of an auto-responder; one user had set up a "Reply
to All" rule.  The infinite loop caused major network disruption, not to
mention major headaches for those of us who had angry users on the phone
saying that their mail was not working.

So, please folks, just un-subscribe if you really do have to use one of
these beasts.

Cheers & Happy Holidays

Matthew Smith
IT Consultant