Re: Rockville, MD- Seeking low vision users for testing federal website

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:41:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: ghoshab@mail.nih.gov
cc: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, David Poehlman wrote:

> Hello, my name is Abhijit Ghosh. I currently work at the National Cancer
> Institute in the Communication Technologies Branch. As part of the 508
> initiative, we are looking to test our website with low vision to no
> vision users using JAWS, Window-Eyes, and in the future Screen
> magnifying software.

As others have mentioned, this is not the right approach to testing
website accessibility.  At best it tests one narrowly-defined aspect
of accessibility; at worst it risks reinforcing any bad practices
you may have - such as authoring to browser behaviour at the expense
of presenting the website contents clearly.

Both JAWS and Window-Eyes deal with one particular disability.
Both are themselves inaccessible to many users, by virtue of cost
and the prerequisites required to install them.

Nick Kew