Re: BBC R4 Accessible Web Article on NOW

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:25:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> > BBC Radio 4 is running an article on web site accessibility as I write
> > this.
>
> The web page backing the article is at:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/intouch_factsheet.shtml
>
> and the real audio should be at:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/rams/intouch_current.ram

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/intouch.shtml ,
the program's front page.  There's a link entitled "text only"
(white, on a white background - I saw it as the page was coming
through my slow modem!) at .. Oh, it's not the program, it's a link to
betsie.  Ugh.

It was only a short article forming part of their weekly program
"for and with" the visually impaired.  They mention the Web from
time to time.

> It's about the National Library for the Blind's web site awards, but
> the audio should cover the lack of difficulty of creating accessible
> sites, as well; I missed the start, so I'll have to listen to the
> audio from Windows to get the whole item.  I can't find a transcript.

I heard it all (except where I was distracted by getting my supper).

Only 2 (of IIRC 10) judges were visually impaired; both the two were
using Jaws.  Where does that leave the majority of blind people who
couldn't hope to afford such top-end kit, or who just don't want to
deal with a virus-ridden operating system and mandatory GUI?

--
Nick Kew