Re: Highlighting areas of text on mouse click.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:43:29 -0500 (EST)
To: Tim Roberts <tim@wiseguysonly.com>
cc: WAI list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

The Websound browser certainly uses this as an accessibility technique.

I would be surprised if it was anything other than a bug in Mozilla though -
it isn't the sort of thing most people want turned on most of the time...
(unless it is a bug in the stylesheet - i.e. our fault)

cheers

Chaals

On 8 Dec 2002, Tim Roberts wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a question about the W3's WAI documents.
>
>I was recently reading the Requirements for WCAG 2.0
>http://www.w3.org/TR/wcag2-req/ and I noticed that in Mozilla 1.2.1 when
>any text is clicked, the whole scope of the paragraph changes color to
>red. I am not sure if this happens in other browsers. Does anyone know
>why this is so?
>
>This also raises a question as to whether this would be a worthwhile
>accessibility feature. For example, an area of text (e.g. Paragraph or
>list item) could be made bolder or slightly larger when clicked. The
>immediate benefit I saw in this technique for for dyslexics, who could
>highlight or enlarge sections of the text by clicking on them
>
>I would be grateful to hear thoughts on this.
>
>Tim

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22