screenreaders, sld and sound on mouseover

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:49:59 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I've had a small thought about why screen readers are no use to our
clients...
it requires work*:

blind people can't see the distance, and so hear things sequentially,
and remember these temporal sequences.
SLD people can recognise some spatial relationships, but frequently
have problems with temporal ones.

in some ways this explains why sound onmouseover is essential, but very
different from a screenreader.

icab reads a few of the peepo pages very nicely, however, the user has
no transparent means to relate each sound to a link, to repeat, for
confirmation, etc
this and much more is provided by sound onmouseover

thanks

jonathan

*(sent as a private mail to Chaals, please respect, as I do not mean to
make any generalisations, rather point up a need that is not being met,
but is do-able)