Text beats graphics for advertisements

From: Graham Oliver <goliver@accease.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:24:23 +1300
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

This extract from an interview with Marissa Mayer, Product Manager, Google
on
http://www.goodexperience.com/columns/02/1015google.html
Question : Google runs no graphic ad banners. Can you describe your
philosophy about online advertising? Is text more effective?
Answer : Our text-only ads outperform graphic ad banners. We feel no
pressure at all to switch to graphic ads, either internally or from
advertisers. It's a win-win. We want to present ads that are useful to our
users, and advertisers can run things that are more targeted. They don't
have to pay for production of the ad - with hiring a graphic artist and
doing the graphics and animation, the creative cost can be very high.
There's also the cost of development time.

AccEase Ltd : Making on-line information accessible
Mobile : +64 21 458 967
Email : goliver@accease.com
Web : www.accease.com