How do screen readers treat empty paragraphs please?

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:09:18 -0000
To: "WAI list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I am trying to educate someone for whom I designed accessible web templates
to produce clean and tidy code.  However, he wishes to use multiple empty
paragraphs with non-breaking spaces to mess up my nice style sheets with
uneven spacing. My question is sort of related: if a screen reader comes
across code like this:

        <.p>&nbsp; </p>

(horrible, isn't it?) -- will this cause annoyance to the reader, or just be
ignored completely? If the latter, I shall have to bite my tongue and keep
quiet, I guess.

Lois Wakeman