CSS optimised for different browsers

From: John Ablett <john@jablett.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:28:40 -0000
To: "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi

I've been working on a website for a small UK charity which I have been
trying to make accessible, without losing the 'look and feel' of the
interface design.

The original had independently scrolling columns laid out side by side using
FRAMES.  I've been able to recreate the scrolling columns using CSS, and
make them keyboard accessible using tabindex.  They seem to work OK with
Lynx and display correctly without CSS,  but I still have a few problems.

The columns use percentages for positioning and width so that they fit the
screen, but this design is screwed up royally by Netscape 4.  Also, to avoid
an unneccessary horizontal scroll bar, I've used the overflow-Y property
which only works in IE5+.

I'm aware that I've painted myself into an accessibility corner here, but
I'm wondering whether it is possible to have the page load a simple default
CSS, then somehow detect the browser and load the alternative CSS optimised
for IE if applicable (and would that be an acceptably accessible solution)?.
I don't have access to any server side technology. Can anyone advise ?

best wishes

John Ablett