Re: Accessibility Options

From: Julian Voelcker <asp@tvw.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:55:00 GMT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Jukka,

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:21:18 +0200, Jukka Korpela wrote:
> A _general_ facility, yes, though it would probably need to be
> browser-specific for practical reasons (different CSS support).
> By "general", I mean something that stands on its own and it aimed
> at helping people in Web surfing in general.

OK, that shouldn't be too difficult.  I have dabbled with IE's facilities, but
have yet to test Opera and NS, although the impression is that all you need to
do is provide a style for the body tag giving colours, font face and font
size.  I'll investigate it further.

> Basically, it would be an interactive page (a case for using JavaScript for
> accessibility!) where the user can select between some basic options or
> enter options of his own, and get a style sheet back, together with
> instructions on what to do with it next on different browsers.

Did you manage to look at the accessibility page at
http://www.sample.charityskills.net/accessibility.aspx?

I was basically thinking on expanding on that by putting a link to download
the file and a link to instruction pages at the bottom of the page.

It's all server side, so no issues with client side javascript.

> The difficult
> part is to decide which features are most important and how to make it as
> easy as possible to make an informed decision.

True.  The only think I haven't done is provide a facility for selecting your
own preferred font, I believe the selection I have provided should be
sufficient.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker