Accessible layout of layers with XHTML CSS

From: Tim Roberts <tim@wiseguysonly.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 14:00:50 +0100
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi everybody,

I am unsure whether this has been discussed before, but I am interested
in what is considered an accessible layout of layers when using CSS and
XHTML.

There is so much experimentation with CSS and XHTML now that it is
important we do not forget the order of the raw XHTML and how it would
be interpreted by screen-readers or text-only browsers.

I normally use the following structure:

DIV > Skip Nav
DIV > Logo
DIV > Main Nav
DIV > Sub Nav (optional)
DIV > Content
DIV > Footer

Is this acceptable, or is it flawed? How do others tackle this?

Tim