Macromedia not getting accessibility quite right...

From: Tom Gilder <w3c@tom.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:22:04 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

So then, Macromedia have today released their new "Contribute"
software, a low-cost Web page editor based on Dreamweaver MX, and a
trial for Windows is available at http://macromedia.com/contribute/.

However, a few things concern me about this software. In the product
info, MM claim that Contribute can produce fully valid XHTML and
enforce accessibility rules. So I downloaded the trial to try it out.

First of all, I just added a new image. I would have thought that at
very least it'd add alt="", but it didn't. Instantly invalid HTML.

So then I tried enabling the "enforce accessibility" option, which
made the software want a non-blank string for *every* image! In the
interface for changing image properties, it also says "Image
description (ALT)", which isn't that great a label.

Although Macromedia's interest in accessibility is a good thing, they
really need to implement it a bit better. I shall continue to play...

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/