Re: abbr, acronym and working examples

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:54:04 +0000
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: "Jaz-Michael King" <JMKing@ipro.org>

If we can repurpose all well and good, frankly I often have problems
finding something that works even occasionally, as an example, whilst
demonstrating acronym today I had the glorious experience of trying to
explain to two trainees why the tooltip was flashing on and off, it
happens that the tooltip was large enough to be under the pointer,
which thus closed the tooltip, and then the pointer was over the
acronym and opened a tooltip.
GREAT. IE5.5, 16pt tooltips, for those that have to know these things.

I remain concerned, by respondents failure to recognise that arguing
over minutae of abbr acronym etc ignores the greater fact that a
demonstration of intention is needed, ie what is the purpose.(not a
description as this is, but a working example)

for instance what use does a language such as chinese make of abbr? if
the aim is to produce a tooltip over text, perhaps that is the title we
seek? img is after all intended for images.

thanks

jonathan