RE: abbr, acronym and working examples

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:44:32 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > where are the examples?(for abbr acronym)
> > I've searched for far too long on google.

Isn't it difficult to search for unrendered HTML elements in Google?

A lot of indie Web authors use acronym and abbr. I just did a check
in BBEdit: 1,700 uses of acronym and 700 of abbr on my own sites.
Let's divide by three to take into account duplicates, backups,
etc., but it's still a lot. I am not at all unusual in such usage
among indie Web developers-- I know people who are an order of
magnitude more promiscuous in such usage than I am
(<http://www.saila.com/columns/lcky/>, for example).

Just don't expect to find nice compliant elements like this on
dog's-breakfast commercial sites. Horses for courses, as I believe
the British say.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_