Re: Accessing PDFs

From: Josh Hughes <josh@deaghean.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:18:06 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> no only about your "Claiming" that now pdf is accessible, it isn't and
> won't be with existing technology,  for your product to read it it must be
> marked up correctly and anyone who hasn't purchased your product can't
> read it at all.

1.) The latest version of Jaws also supports PDF.
2.) Emacspeak:
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/user-guide/productivity.html#READING-ADOBE-
ACROBAT-FILES Anyone tested this? I think easy conversion to text or HTML
formats would be my definition of whether or not the PDF was accessible.
2.) ALL documents have to be properly marked up to be accessible. I don't
see any language on either screen reader's site that suggests PDF is
accessible simply by virtue of being a PDF.

Josh Hughes
http://www.gmu.edu