Re: Validation Question for Javascript type attribute

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:00:30 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

"Brian Walk" <N10BKW1@wpo.cso.niu.edu> wrote in message
news:sdb7c132.007@wpo.cso.niu.edu...

(can you please not post in HTML)

>The project I am working on is required to be Section 508 and SCORM
>compliant. The SCORM compliance, in part, requires the use of some
>Javascripts which assist in the tracking of the individual learn
>modules (or SCOs) and provide other related functions. (I am not an
>expert on Javascripts, I just aware that they are needed in this
>site). They originally appeared like this:

><SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" SRC="../util/APIWrapper.js"></SCRIPT>
><SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" SRC="../util/SCOFunctions.js"></SCRIPT>

>As I was validating the pages(within Dreamweaver MX),

Is DreamWeaver MX a formal validator?  If not what sort of "validator" is
it?

>When I then attempted to check for Target Browsers, I get the follow
>message: " the type attribute of the Script tag is not supported."
>This message appeared when I checked it the following browsers:
>Netscape Navigator 4.0 - 6.0, Internet Explorer 3.0 - 6.0, Opera 4.0 -
>6.0.

That's an almost completely useless message, ignore it, drop the language
attribute from your script, just have the type attribute.  Language is
wholly irrelevant (to all but a very odd scenario using IE3, which I can
invisage, but not actually imagine a situation where it could happen -
and as I'm sure the scripts aren't competent enough for IE3 - (some sort
of java communicating applet - how's the fallback handled with that?.)

> Has anyone run across
>this conflict before, or can some one see from this code if something
>is not properly marked up?

There is no conflict.

Jim.