Re: Colors and the WCAG

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tina Marie Holmboe <tina@elfi.org>
Cc: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, <c.bottelier@iradis.org>

>   Be that as it may. The organizations and goverments only now beginning
>   to demand accessibility - such as the EU and others - are however
>   using WCAG 1.0 as their baseline.

And the case can be quite credibly made that relying on HTML colour
values in 2002 is outdated.

>   As for the colours ... well, we don't do accessibility just for CSS
>   browsers, after all.

Name three graphical browsers-- browsers that can show .gif and
.jpg graphics-- that cannot interpret CSS.

Now please tell me how many users those browsers have, and then
please give a credible estimate of how many colourblind people use
those browsers.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_