Re: Colors and the WCAG

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:19:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: c.bottelier@iradis.org

> I far as I could find the WCAG 1.0 does mention that used
> colors should be contrasting enough

..which is virtually impossible for a layperson to estimate. Quickie
question to the WAI: What exactly do other people see?

> On the Internet I see a lot of pages, and the tools like
> FrontPage and DreamWeaver tend to do it, is to specify
> the bgcolor as white but not any of the other colors. Should
> the WCAG not mention (priority 1 of 2 perhaps) that when
> specifying the color of 1 element, all the other colors
> _MUST_ be specified also. And that if _ALL_ the colors
> specified are the default colors their MAY not be specified
> at all (priority 3)?

No, because the number of real-world browsers that cannot understand
CSS is so very small that HTML-only techniques are no longer
applicable.

You *can* set just the background on, say, html or body and then set
the foreground on other elements.

Cascading, remember?

A device that can't understand stylesheets is apt to use its own
colours anyway. And besides, the requirement postulated above is
*so* 1998, and the WCAG are outdated enough as it is.

--

  Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
  Author, _Building Accessible Websites_