Re: Skip Navigation

Hy Cohen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> What have you found to be the best way to provide "skip navigation"
> links?  Clear GIFs with ALTs? Just a plain text link?  A plain text link
> the same color as the background?  I want to find the best way, without
> the search engine spiders punishing me.

I don't think an accessibility-minded 'skip navigation' is going to
bother the search engines.

However, if you can put the navigation below the content in the document
(then use CSS positioning to put it wherever you want it) you will help
your search engine rankings on places like google that like content up top.

> Also, what are your thoughts on :"skip navigation" like links for
> bypassing other portions of a page?  For example, let's say you have an
> article on widgets, but the reader doesn't want to read the article on
> widgets.  They want to read the next article, which is on why the sky is
> blue.    As a screen reader user myself, I would think this would be
> helpful, but then again, I've been using the Internet for several years.

makes sense to me.... and to the WCAG it seems:

"Group related links, identify the group (for user agents), and, until
user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the group." WCAG 13.6 (p3)

(copied from quick reference on Section 508 and WCAG at
http://www.tntluoma.com/sidebars/section508/ fyi)

WCAG reference
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-group-links

TjL