Text Reader for Web Pages and Macintosh

From: Ali (Alejandra) Beatty <alib@ecollege.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:26:33 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Does anyone know of a text reader program which will read web pages and
works on Macintosh OS 8-9? I've tried eReader from CAST, but anything
remotely dynamic is not only not understood, it's not even displayed. Even a
simple textbox is not rendered, making the site inoperable. I've checked out
iCab, Kurzweil, and a number of others listed on the w3c site for
alternative browsers. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of support for
Macintoshes in this area. I have students with learning disabilities who use
Macintoshes for daily curriculum. We've put together a site that allows them
to take exams, but if a form isn't displayed, they can't get in. I've looked
at Macintalk (aka PlainTalk), but it doesn't appear to interface with
Internet Explorer.

Alternatively, if someone knows about a plug-in for either Netscape or
Internet Explorer, I'd be happy to try it out.

TIA. Ali

> Ali Beatty
> Senior Developer
alib@ecollege.com
phone	303.873.7400 ext. 3020
fax    	303.873.3781
> eCollege Supporting your Success

		Please note our new location beginning July 31:
		eCollege
		eCollege Building
		4900 S. Monaco Street
            Denver, CO 80237