RE: Media - Suit Over Airlines' Web Sites Tests Bounds of ADA

From: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:46:57 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Shanx:
> Wonder why no one has ever sued NYT or IHT for the small
> print in their newspapers. Suddenly, the Internet and all the
> Bobby and accessibility jazz that is bandied about so
> liberally has encouraged every Joe with a handicap and his
> dog to scrounge for some sympathy. But suing is ridiculous.
> Perhaps an education in customized CSS or VIEW --> TEXT SIDE
> is in order.

> Harry Woodrow:
> Yes but Discrimination is even more ridiculous.

> Andrew McFarland:
> There is an important difference between print and the web.

Harry and Andrew are both on the mark.  Web and print are different, though
similar mediums.  And accessibility isn't /bandied about/ in the U.S. as
much as some of us would like.  In fact, if you go beyond Web design circles
and outside of the public sector, no one really seems to care if their Web
site is accessible.  I wish that this were not the case, but it seems just
so.

Randal