RE: validator and refc delimiter

From: Jukka Korpela <jukka.korpela@tieke.fi>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:28:20 +0300
To: "WAI List (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

jonathan chetwynd wrote:

> Anyone care to comment on when the issue of data in urls,
> causing pages not to validate, will be cleared up?

Which issue?

> once again trawling through peepo.com and learningdifferently.com
> and checking for accessibility issues.

I don't think this is specifically accessibility related, but
the problem you apparently refer to is caused by document errors:
the use of "&" in contexts where it is followed by an alphabetic
character but meant to stand for "&" itself. The fix is to use
"&amp;" instead of "&". The validator's message is caused by the
fact that when validating against an XHTML doctype, the terminating
semicolon is required.

This is one of the most common problems with validators, see
and XHTML has just added a new feature to it.

For example, a string like
is doubly incorrect in XHTML: first, the entity reference is
syntactically malformed (&url instead of &url;); second, it refers
to an undefined entity. Validators report both errors. Using the correct
avoids both.

Jukka Korpela, senior adviser
TIEKE Finnish Information Society Development Centre
Diffuse Business Guide to Web Accessibility and Design for All: