Re: LABEL Tag Question

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:13:46 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> fields blank if this  doesn't apply.</p> <label for="reqagemin">Minimum

How would you label this if you used a printed form?  Would you really
let people guess which box was which?  I suspect you would at least
include "To" or a hyphen.

(I think part of the intention of label is that you can skip to it, but,
in that case, any essential instructions need to be in the label, where
they will be read.)

> required age </label> <input type="text" name="reqagemin" id="reqagemin"
> size="2" maxlength="2" title="Please enter the minimum required age for
> this activity, or eave blank for no minimum age."> <label

This is an abuse of title.  title is *not* a tool-tip.  It is grammatically
a noun, not an imperative.

> With Window-Eyes I would only hear "Minimum Required Age" and "Maximum
> Required Age".  I wouldn't hear the other instructions to just leave the

You need to reword so that the whole instruction is used to form the
label.  Looking at my tax form (paper), there are some quite long labels,
giving instructions, but they are obviously labels.