Re: Ruby and assistive technology

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:53:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: <Andrew.Arch@visionaustralia.org.au>
cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Screen magnifiers.

Seriously, as far as I know most don't pick up the relationship (but then
most assistive technologies and browsers are yet to finish implementing HTML
4.0). An exception is probably emacspeak - if it doesn't currently get it
then it is a small XSLT or CSS rule away from being explicit.

It might be worth asking people who are working with East Asian systems,
where Ruby is a common typographical convention, and whence the HTML Ruby
system came as I understand it.

Do you have particular usage scenarios in mind and suggested behaviour?

Cheers

Chaals

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 Andrew.Arch@visionaustralia.org.au wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know of any assistive technologies that directly support Ruby
>annotations in XHTML?
>
>Thanks,  Andrew
>Andrew Arch
>Vision Australia Foundation
>http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/
>http://home.vicnet.net.au/~webacces/
>
>Member, Education & Outreach Working Group,
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22