RE: Accessible Web Design Article: What is an accessible website?

Hi Jim

Would the concise definition of an accessible website be just that - it
is accessible?

I'm not sure if I would separate a disabled person from the general
person as you seem to imply with your initial bullets on "What is an
accessible website?". Surely everyone means everyone regardless of their
physical or metal condition.

I would agree that given the state of current technology it would be a
massive undertaking to translate your content into X languages. But
wouldn't it be great if you could?! Your market reach would have no
bounds. Consider that technology will catch up and develop your projects
with that in mind.

I've never considered writing style to be strongly connected to
accessibility. Ok in the most part things should be kept simple but
writing style is an expression of individuality. As long as whatever is
written is accessible then that is what matters (and I'll stop myself
there before I digress).

Keeping up-to-date versions of a site (at its most basic : graphics and
text only) is not be a problem if you consider that structure and
content *should* be separated.

Given the current technology available it is difficult to make content
accessible to everyone. But we should do all that's possible to ensure
our projects are developed with the future in mind - look at the web 10
yrs ago who'd of guessed we'd be where we are now!

Separate structure and content, keep reading WAI IG and your half way
there.

Kind regards
Mike Palmer
www.absoluteinternet.com