Re: Manual validation

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:17:30 +0100 (BST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> There are two issues here. One is the need for manual validation,
> and the other who should do it.

And the third is what resources are available to do it.  If you have
a blind person, do you equip them with expensive top-of-the-range kit
that can do things like "accessible" flash, or something affordable to
real-life users?

> It is impossible to automatically validate for accessibility, so
> manual validation is always needed.

A sweeping generalisation:-)

> People with disabilities are likely to understand specific issues
> better than those without.

This is true, particularly where you are presenting complex information.
But those of us who don't have representatives from a broad range of
disability groups amongst our colleagues have to make do with
second-best.  IMO a pretty good target is a three-level approach:

(1) Automatic testing with Site Valet
(2) Does it work as linearised text - e.g. view in in Lynx
(3) Provide a prominent and accessible feedback option for people
    to raise any issues that remain in spite of your best efforts.
    Make sure someone is tasked with dealing with such feedback!

Nick Kew