From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Access Systems
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 6:38 PM
To: Jim Thatcher
Cc: W3c-Wai-Ig@W3. Org
Subject: Re: Alternative text for Java Applets

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Jim Thatcher wrote:

> The shimmering water at the top left of
> http://www.african-americanshakes.org/ could have null alt text (alt="")
or
> alt="shimmering water" or anything else you want - this puzzle is not
about
> the quality of the alt text.
>
> That shimmering water is produced by a Java applet - pretty neat. I can
> place either of those examples of alt text on the applet, and at least
> Page Reader treats it correctly, ignoring the applet in the first case and
> rendering (Java Applet: shimmering water) in the second. I have not tested
> with screen readers.

so I just visited the site using Lynx and it loaded and ran rather well,
although I did not get the "shimmering water" caption all I got was the
infamous [inline]

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
*#
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks