Alternative text for Java Applets

From: Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:43:42 -0500
To: "W3c-Wai-Ig@W3. Org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I have a puzzle - and need some help.

The shimmering water at the top left of
http://www.african-americanshakes.org/ could have null alt text (alt="") or
alt="shimmering water" or anything else you want - this puzzle is not about
the quality of the alt text.

That shimmering water is produced by a Java applet - pretty neat. I can
place either of those examples of alt text on the applet, and at least Home
Page Reader treats it correctly, ignoring the applet in the first case and
rendering (Java Applet: shimmering water) in the second. I have not tested
with screen readers.

So, the alt on the APPLET element seems to work the way I would hope, at
least for HPR. But APPLET is deprecated and the OBJECT tag is supposed to be
used in its place.

I would like to try this very simple example with the OBJECT element but I
can't get the applet to actually run with OBJECT. If anyone knows how to do
that, please contact me off list, we can then report back to the list on
results. What I want to do is get the applet to "work" with the OBJECT
element and then see how that works with assistive technology. Thanks!

Jim
Accessibility Consulting
http://jimthatcher.com
512-306-0931