Re: DC2002 and Accessibility Metadata

So here is where I think it gets interesting...

The idea of using proxy servers for accessibility repair is pretty common.
Nick Kew has been running one until recently but there are others.

The idea of using metadata to tell your proxy what you want is pretty common.
CC/PP - a format for describing capabilities of a system, assumes that this
might happen at several places along the delivery chain between the server
and the end user.

One place might in fact be in the end users' own space, where they keep their
private information about what they prefer (perhaps two or three lots
according to different things they are doing at the time), and a proxy that
strips out what they can't use, or does transformations to make something
more useful to them.

And then you have a system where you go to your own site, and tell it that
today you want to use profile "public library". A profile that adds links to
your private bookmarks etc to pages as you get them.

Not like profile "new laptop" which installs stuff all over your laptop to
manage bookmarks and so on.

(remembering that some off the most useful bookmarks I have are in fact
javascript bookarklets that do useful things to make pages more accessible).

Of course, some people prefer to use sytems that don't run javascript. But
imagine a system that processed things in the proxy which had been marked as
useful and trustworthy by someone you trust, to make the effect seem like
server side. For example form validation goes from you, using lynx in the
library, to your proxy, which checks it and tells you if there were fields
you left blank because you didn't notice they appeared after the submit
button...

cheers

Chaals