Re: Access Keys - your collective help is urgently requested!

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, John Foliot - bytown internet wrote:

the alt-letter keys are used as operating commands in LYNX and possibly
other web browsers.  Alt-X for example is the command for "first page"

and "Alt + other keys" are used in Linux and other Unix operating systems

I'm afraid that there are probably few if any keys that are not used in
one software operating system or another for something. and I can't think
of anything that is unused in any operating system or communications
software

seems a "Blank" or unused key is fair game fore programmers.  also don't
forget those using other languages in which keys are used differently, and
then those using non traditional alphabets such as Korean, Japanese, etc
on Double byte operating systems which use totally different keyboarding
systems.

for the internet to be cross platform and cross language it must be pretty
basic, I doubt you will find any combination of keys that are totally
unused.
  and then throw in folks using "adaptive" keyboards such as eyegaze or
voice control ...........

sorry to throw water on the fire but I'm afraid too many American's forget
this is a "WORLD WIDE WEB" and microsoft is not the only operating system
in existence

Bob

> Pardon the cross posting to members of multiple lists.
>
> A situation has arisen where a large group of institutional developers have
> been recommended to implement a series of "Standardized" Access Keys
> assigned to "Skip Nav" functionality across multiple web sites .  However,
> the recommendation came without sufficient research, and unfortunately 2 of
> the 3 recommended Access Key commands are "reserved" in a major Adaptive
> Technology application.  Specifically, they have recommended the use of
> "Alt+1" and "Alt+2".  Users of IBM's Home Page Reader may recognise these as
> being  "Alt+1 = Headings Reading Mode" and "Alt+2 = Text View".
>
> It's a mess.
>
> An alternate solution must be developed and implemented immeadiately, and I
> volunteered to query this group of informed and involved experts for
> possible solutions.  Current thinking is to move to "Alt+X", Alt+Y" and
> Alt+Z" (Windows terminology - other platforms generally use variants of the
> same), but proper research is required before recommending these revisions.
> Time is of the essence, so perhaps this group could assist?
>
> Is anyone out there aware of the 3 newly proposed Access Keys being reserved
> in any current user application?  While the focus is primarily on web
> browsing in the broad sense, if there is a conflict with another mainstream
> application this information is important as well.
>
> Thanks in advance to all respondees.
>
> JF

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks