RE: SCOPE vs. ID/HEADER

Al Wrote:

> What I don't understand is what the cases are where SCOPE adds
> value, between tables handled fine by the first-row, first-column
> heuristic and the cases where HEADERS markup is required to make
> the connections right.

You read the table of "tests" correctly. The best thing today is to put
headings in row one and column one as measured by assistive technology
support. I tried to be careful and say, "for programmatic identification"
use scope and TH. There are places where the scope "adds value" and one is
in the corner, like row 1 column 1. With TH there and without scope, you
can't tell whether that heading cell is a column heading or a row heading.

I hadn't seen Nakata's Power Point Slides before, Thanks. They (Doug
Wakefield and Ken Nakata) recommend the same as I said in my post - use TH
and scope for simple tables and when the table is complex (where TH and
scope are inadequate) then use headers/id.

Jim
Accessibility Consulting
http://jimthatcher.com
512-306-0931