RE: pt vs px for font sizes.

From: John Foliot - bytown internet <foliot@bytowninternet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:14:50 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> You sometimes get multiplactive effects in tables: for example, a
> stylesheet
> like:
>
> td	{font-size: 80%;}
> p	{font-size: 80%;}
>
> applied to HTML reading:

>    This is table text.
>      This is paragraph text.
>
> Results in the "table" text being 80% of the normal size but the
> "paragraph"
> text being 64% (i.e. 80% x 80%).

That would be your "cascade", as in Cascading Style Sheets...

I would agree with most of the posts so far that using % or ems is the
prefered method.  I would also like to second the fact that your "normal"
text be left alone... in other words let the user set their own preference
and you can then apply supporting relations relative to the users default
size.  For example, an <h1> could then be set to 120% or 1.2ems of [user
default] or .breadcrumbs could be set to 70% or .85ems.

JF