Re: New Window inform

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:38:16 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> can someone tell me what=20
> a[target=3D"pop_up"]:after { content: "(This will open in a new =
> window.)"; }
> does, ie how one accesses this information?

1) Use a browser with a strong CSS2 implementation, and which supports
   frames, and doesn't have popups disabled by the user;
2) Code in a transitional version of HTML;
3) Code links that you want to pop up similar to:

One with a strong CSS2 implementation but frames unsupported or
popups disabled will still show the message but not pop up!

Specifically, as part of a CSS2 style sheet, the rule selects A elements
that have a target attribute with the value pop_up, and causes an additional
inline box to be inserted into the CSS rendering model, after the contents
of the A element, containing the text:

  (This will open in a new window.)

and with other rendering attributes inherited from the A element box
(I'm not sure if this includes :active dependent ones).

On windowing, frames capable browsers with popups enabled, and no existing
frame called pop_up, such a link, when activated, will create a new window
for the content.  (Subsequent uses will re-use the same window, unless it
is closed in the mean time.)

Frames related attributes and elements are not supported in strict versions
or in XHTML 1.1.